It is beginning to hit me that Adelle Grace is my daughter. I know that sounds silly, since I had nine months to let this soak in, and three more to let it REALLY settle. However, it is just now happening. She is the one who will come running up to me with tears in her eyes when she scrapes her knee. She is the one who will undoubtedly talk back to me (if she's anything like I was with my poor mother). She is the one who will probably bottle up her emotions until they come spilling out one night when she feels like she hasn't a friend in the world but her mom (this too comes from experience...7th grade sucked, people). She is the one my husband will walk down the aisle (it'll probably be only the second time I'll ever see the man cry).
She is the one. She is my daughter.
Adelle has been taking on a new personality of her own these days. This, in part, is why I think it's all hitting me now. I'm realizing that she is so much more than a little bundle of flesh for me to worry about. She is a little girl, a woman, a wife, a mom, a sister. I am so blessed to be her mom for a time. A friend of mine (hey Rach!) writes letters to her baby girl as a memory of what was going on a the time. I must say I've been inspired. This letter will someday be for Ellie's eyes, but for now, it will serve as a way of you all knowing how she's growing and changing!
Bugaboo,
We call you bugga, boo boo, buggaboosie, and ellie g. these days. I wouldn't have chosen these names in a million years, but they have just flowed from my lips. It's just who you are. And I am terribly sorry. :)
You were 13 lbs, 15 oz. today at your cardiology appointment. 25 inches long. you were so patient with the nurses as they poked and prodded you, and put those little sticky heart monitor tabs all over your chubby tummy. You "helped" the technician with your echo ultrasound by grabbing the stick as she moved it over your heart. Already my little helper. And praise God that 2 of your 3 holes have CLOSED!!!
You've been becoming quite the chatty Cathy these days...always something to say (or yell...mostly yell). You love it when people pay attention to you; even if it means just sitting and "talking." You LOVE your changing table. It is basically your favorite place. Oh, and you love being naked and taking baths. You give me a sly smile when I give you baths, like you are dreaming of the mischief you will get into when you take baths when you're a toddler.
I have had many nights where I despairingly wished you were "like other babies" who slept through the night at 8 weeks. You're not. You're feisty. You fight sleep like the plague. And I like you just the way you are. You just don't want to miss out on all the action! You've been like this since day one. Lately, though, you've been sleeping longer stretches. I am waiting for the day you will "sleep through the night," but I don't want to long after it anymore. You are God's gift, and someday I will pine away for the nights I got to hold you and comfort you.
Lately you've been "playing" in your crib by yourself so mommy can get an extra half hour of sleep in the mornings. Thank you. It is bliss. Thank you for enjoying your plastic keys and plush duck lovey so much. I'm much more sane for it.
Most babies get the whole "stranger complex" much later, but you already show signs of it. You often burst out crying with a poochy lip when a "stranger" tries to hold you. You even cried buckets the other day when you watched me walk out the door... Just burst out crying like you were in pain. I can tell your cries from one another now. It feels good to be loved and missed. I just didn't expect it from you this young. :)
You suck your hands like there is marshmallow goo all over them. Are you teething already? You looove those hands, baby girl.
While I am sure there is so much more I could say, I want you to know how very thankful I am for what we have and will have for the next 18 years while you're stuck with us. I am blessed, because you are mine. You are Adelle. I can't wait to know this little personality that is all bottled up inside you.
Bring it on, girl.
Bring it.
Love, Mama
5 comments:
Tears!!!! I just love it Whit! You are such a good mommy!!!!! So so sweet!!!
i love it, whit! love the picture, love the details, love that you are becoming more comfortable in your new skin and in the baby you've been blessed with. i know both you and she will treasure these letters! you're such a wonderful momma.
Made me cry, lady.
You are an amazing momma. I love this!
1. I love this! How sweet! I am hopefully going to make a scrapbook for our little one that is filled with pics of important people to us and me telling this little one why, things about their dad and I etc. Letters are sooo cute. Just think about it- wouldnt you have LOVED to get something like this from your parents? I would, and I bet little Ellie is going to love it!
2. Just so you know, your background is gone. I think the Cutest Blog on the Block might have switched servers or something. You should be able to go to their site and fix it. Let me know if you need help : )
3. We seriously need to figure out when I can come and learn all about the good, bad and ugly of being a momma.
Looks like we both see her as "feisty"! Hey, that's good--it shows spirit, spunk. It's good that you're writing all this down to save for her to read someday. Sad to say, though you think you'll remember all this forever, you won't. But you'll remember some and journaling will help a lot! I loved reading it, Hon. Welcome to the Moms Club, a very special place.
Post a Comment