
Anyone that has been to my little house knows that whoever owned it before me decided to make a very, very bad decision. Such a bad decision that I'm refusing to even show you.
We have this cute little house with original hard wood floors, beautiful white wood trim, and original doors and doorknobs. It's charming, if I do say so myself.
However, someone (who I am shaking my head at this very moment), decided to make our kitchen the epitomy of 90's home decor. Plastic "marbled" hunter green counters. What? You are seriously going to take a completely classic 1940's home and turn it into a hunter green and oak country kitchen?! I am sorry, but this is shameful.
Some of you might know that this has bothered me from the very first time we bought the house. I have always thought we could do a semi-cheap little upgrade (really, just bring some of that 40's charm BACK into the kitchen.) All of the appliances are nice, the sink is nice, but those counter tops and cabs. WOW.
Ben has not always been on the same page. He wasn't sure it would add the re-sale value we would hope for. He thinks maybe someone might have a THING for the nineties. True, true. However, we have recently been able to agree on the fact that our kitchen is distracting in light of the rest of the house. It doesn't "go." I'm afraid that someone will come in someday and love the house and be confused by the kitchen.
So, we found out that IKEA sells solid hard wood countertops at a stunning price. And, since the cabinets are a nice solid oak, we are thinking about painting them. At first I was thinking white, because I loooove all things white. But we have all white appliances, and I think that might be blinding.
And then I saw this inspirational picture. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be my kitchen soon. (Minus the open glass cabinets, open shelving--i wish!-- and amazing accessories.)
What do you guys think?
4 comments:
i love the idea! i can't wait to see after pictures.
1. I love wood counters.
2. I think changing those counters will defin. be the way to go for your house. Even if it doesnt add resale money wise, it will help it sell faster one day. No one is going to want those green things! Ha!
3. Love these cabinets. If you cant convince ben, a gel stain works nice on oak too. It just goes right on top kinda like painting. Thats what we did bc ours use to be a gross 80s wood color.
I cannot wait to see it!
LOVE IT! can't wait to see it!
Post a Comment